About Hockenberg Newburgh
In 1930, Sam Hockenberg and Sid Rubin opened the doors to a small food brokerage company based out of a one-room office in Des Moines, Iowa. The two businessmen were poised for success right from the start, quickly spotting gaps in the market and moving to fill them. By the early 1960s, their operation had grown to include Frozen Foods, General Merchandise, and Foodservice departments.
In the 1990s, keen market sense proved useful once again as a series of mergers brought expansion into Nebraska, Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Wisconsin. With a new name and fortified interests in the food service, bakery/deli, and grocery divisions, Hockenberg Newburgh was established as the strongest brokerage in the Upper Midwest.
Despite rapid growth—and contrary to common practice—we have consistently maintained a dedicated sales force for each department to ensure employees get acquainted with both our products and our customers. With a business model that focuses on fostering strong manufacturer and customer relationships and as an employee-owned company, we deeply value our employees and retain a dedicated workforce year after year.
Today, we continue to seek out new opportunities to meet the evolving needs of an ever-changing marketplace. It is this progressive attitude teamed with hard work, integrity, professionalism, and a trusting rapport with our customers that have earned us respect in the industry and enabled us to remain financially stable and prosperous for more than 90 years.